Patient Rights and Responsibilities
Muhammad Saleh Basharahil Hospital and its entire staff respect your rights as a patient, recognizing you as an individual with unique health care needs. Our goal is to give you the care that is right for your illness and to help you get well as soon as possible.
The rights and responsibilities that follow are a summary of your rights called the Patient Bill of Rights. By exercising your rights and responsibilities, you help us give you the best care while you are in the hospital.
These Are Your Rights
- You have the right to be treated in a caring and respectful way and to have impartial access to treatment or accommodations that is available or medically indicated, without regard to race, religion, cultural/personal values, beliefs and preferences, sex, and age.
- You have the right to know the names of the people who are taking care of you and how they will help you or provide care for you.
- You have the right to refuse to be observed, examined, or treated without jeopardizing your access to care.
- You have the right to create an advanced directive/health care proxy, which tells the hospital and doctor who you want to make decisions for you if you are ever unable to do so. Upon admission, if you already have an advanced directive, please provide the hospital with a copy, which will be placed in your medical record.
- You have the right to revise your advanced directive/health care proxy.
- You have the right to make informed decisions regarding your medical care, including: Being informed of your health status. Being involved in care planning and treatment. Being able to request or refuse treatment.
- You have the right to participate in decisions about your care treatment or service.
- You have the right to receive the ethics consultation service, which is available to assist you and your family in making ethical decisions.
- You have the right to prompt, life-saving treatment without discrimination due to economic status or source of payment.
- You have the right, if suffering from any form of breast cancer, to complete information on all alternative treatments that are medically viable.
- You have the right to confidentiality of all records and communications concerning your medical history and treatment to the extent provided by law.
- You have the right to personal dignity, and, to the extent reasonably possible, to privacy during medical treatment and other care.
- You have the right to a prompt response to all reasonable requests.
- You have the right to give or withhold informed consent to the extent provided by law.
- You have the right to receive information relative to financial assistance and free care and request an itemized bill reflecting charges from the physician and/or facility.
- You have the right to obtain a copy of any rules or regulations of this hospital that may apply to your conduct as a patient.
- You have the right, upon request, to inspect your medical records, request an amendment to, or receive an accounting of disclosures regarding personal health information and to receive a copy of your record.
- You have the right to receive a copy of your medical record free if you show that your request is to support a claim or appeal under any provisions of the Social Security Act in any government financial needs-based benefit program.
- You have the right to personal safety and a secure environment while you are at Muhammad Saleh Basharahil Hospital.
- You have the right to have your pain managed.
- You have the right to effective communication and the right to receive information in a manner you understand.
- You have the right to fairly and openly voice your concerns or complaints when the quality of the care or services that you have received does not meet your expectations. If you present a complaint, your care will not be affected in any way. Also, if you have a problem that you cannot solve with your doctor, your nurse or other caregiver, you may contact The Office of the Medical Director at 012-5204444, extn. 3114.
- You have the right to be informed regarding the extent to which the hospital is able, willing and/or unwilling to honor advanced directives on medical treatments or procedures of any kind, which the hospital deems are not in accordance with its values and ethics.
- You have the right to request notification of your family and/or your Primary Care Physician of hospital admission.
You have the right to accept or refuse medical or surgical treatment, including forgoing or withdrawing life sustaining treatment or withholding resuscitative services.
- You have the right to request information regarding the hospital's relationship to other health care facilities, if any.
- You have the right to give or withhold informed consent to produce or use recordings, films, or other images of you for purposes other than your care.
- You have the right to be free from neglect, exploitation, or any type of abuse or harassment.
- You have the right to access protective and advocacy services.
- You have the right to receive the visitors you designate that include, though are not limited to the following: spouse, another family member, or a friend.
- You have the right to withdraw or deny consent for visitation at any time.
- You have the right to a support individual of your choice present for emotional support during the course of your stay, unless their presence infringes on rights of others or is medically or therapeutically contraindicated.
- All visitors designated by you (or a duly named support person) will enjoy visitation privileges that are no more or less restrictive than those rights that immediate family members possess.
- These Are Your Responsibilities
While it is the commitment of Muhammad Saleh Basharahil Hospital and our staff to honor and respect your rights as a patient, you also have the responsibility to help make your care a positive health experience and assure the optimum outcome. Muhammad Saleh Basharahi Hospital expects you to:
- Be honest with us and provide complete and accurate information about your present illness, including previous hospitalizations and anything else you know about your health that would help us treat you. Also, let us know your expectations about hospitalization and treatment.
- Ask questions of any member of your treatment team until you have a complete understanding of what they are saying to you; also, please tell your physician if you cannot follow the plan.
- Comply with all the hospital’s rules and regulations as they relate to your care, safety and conduct as a patient. Be considerate of Muhammad Saleh Basharahil Hospital staff and property as well as other patients and their property.
- Appoint a healthcare proxy and complete an advanced directive. so that we can know what kind of care you wish to have should you become unable to tell us.
- Give the hospital all the information they will need to promptly fulfill your financial obligations that you incur while in the hospital, to the extent of your ability to pay.
- Be responsible for your own actions if you refuse treatment or do not follow the instructions of those providing care.
- These Rules Apply to Both Patients and Visitors
- Respect the rights of other patients to get medical care without being disturbed. Telephones and televisions should be used in a manner that is agreeable to others.
- Refrain from using cellular phones in patient care areas and observe the NO SMOKING policy
- Photography: Because of our concern for the privacy of all patients, the taking of photographs in patient care areas is prohibited. This includes the use of cell phone cameras and all other devices that take photos.
- Express concerns to your caregivers in a respectful manner (if you need additional assistance or are upset about your care, a patient advocate can help you).
- Justified clinical restrictions on visitation rights can be imposed by the hospital.